Stewed Pork with Mui Choy (梅菜焖猪肉)
Stewed Pork with Mui Choy is a very simple dish to cook but needs cooking time (1.5 hours) to ensure the pork is tender. Mui choy – preserved mustard – is green leafy vegetable that is salted and dried under the sun. If you like flavoursome mui choy and tender pork, you will like this simple to cook but very tasty dish. It goes really well with steamed rice. To me, the flavoursome pork skin and mui choy are the best bits.
You can get mui choy from any Asian grocery. Here is an example:
There are 2 type of mui choy – sweet & salted. The recommended proportion for this recipe is 4 parts of sweet mui choy to 1 part of salted mui choy. However I decided to simply use just the sweet type. It works for me. In this Stewed Pork with Mui Choy recipe, only the leaf part of the mui choy is used. The stalks can be reserved for other uses (e.g. steamed with fish).
Watch how this dish is prepared
- 800 gm pork belly (with skin)
- 200 gm sweet mui choy (use the leaf portion)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 50 gm rock sugar
- 2 cups of water
1. Prepare belly pork for use:
- Half fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Slide belly pork into the boiling water.
- When the water comes to a boil again, turn off heat. The idea is to blanch the skin to avoid shrinkage.
- Cut belly pork into 1 inch thick pieces.
2. Prepare mui choy for use:
- Soak (for an hour) and wash the mui choy.
- Gently squeeze washed mui choy till dry.
- Cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Dry fry the mui choy in a pan – this means – do not add oil, just use the heat of the pan to fry the mui choy till fragrant.
- Add 1 tsp of sesame oil and 1 tsp of sugar and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Add belly pork into the pot of mui choy. Add dark soya sauce, light soya sauce, sesame oil, rock sugar and enough water to just cover the pork.
5. Boil the mixture and once the sauce is boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 hours. Serve Stewed Pork with Mui Choy with steamed rice.
You may also like the following posts: