Saucy pork with fried potato is an appetising dish – I love that sweet, hot and sour sauce and the potato with the crispy exterior and soft centre. This goes really well with steamed rice. Alternatively, add more potatoes to make it a meal on its own.
I had some leftover (all the potatoes were gone by then) and cooked it with some noodles (add another tablespoon of tomato ketchup) the next day. It was delish !
Watch how I prepare this dish
- 4 thin slices of pork shoulder
- 1 tomato (cube)
- 1/2 cucumber (dice)
- 1 red pepper (dice)
- 1 large potato (cube)
- 1 clove garlic (slice)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 cup of water
1. Season the pork shoulder slices with salt and black pepper generously. Sprinkle cornflour and ensure an even coating.
2. Coat the potato cubes with some cornflour. This will ensure a crispy exterior.
3. Prepare the sauce and set aside.
4. Fry the potato: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add potato cubes. Fry over medium heat for about 5 mins, stirring from time to time. Test with a fork and when the potato is tender, remove to a plate.
5. Fry the pork: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add pork shoulder slices. Brown over high heat for about 3 mins each side. Flip over to fry the other side. Remove pork to a plate.
6. Add the vegetables : garlic, red pepper, cucumber and tomatoes and stir fry for a few minutes.
7. Add the sauce and let the vegetables simmer for a few minutes till the sauce thicken.
8. Add the pork slices and stir well to ensure the pork is fully coated with the sauce. Remove to a serving plate.
9. Top the saucy pork with fried potato cubes. Enjoy !