Fish in Tomato Tofu Soup
One of my favourite Singapore home cooked food is Fish in Tomato Tofu soup. I like the flavoursome fish soup with the combination of fresh fish, soft tofu and tangy tomato – a perfect match indeed! Try this healthy combination today!
Some people like to add rice vermicelli (beehoon) to make this a complete and easy to prepare meal.
- 1 white fish fillet (cut into thick slices) – marinade with a dash of salt and black pepper for 15 mins.
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1 tube silken tofu (cut into rounds)
- 2 fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 lettuce leaves (shredded)
- Soup ingredients
- 2 inch ginger (cut into thin strips)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder *
- 1 litre of water
- 1 tablespoon fried onion
- 1 chilli (thinly sliced)
1. In a pot, prepare the soup by heating 1 tablespoon of Canola oil and adding ginger, garlic and sesame oil and fry till fragrant. Add salt, sugar, white pepper, chicken stock powder and water . Bring to the boil.
2. Add tomato, mushroom and bean curd. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 mins.
3. Add marinaded fish fillet and lettuce leaves to the soup and bring to a quick boil. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as required.
4. Garnish with fried onion and chilli slices and serve immediately.
* you could also use fish stock by frying some fish with bones till golden brown and simmering