A few weeks ago, we had an excellent meal in London at a place called Escocesa (http://escocesa.co.uk/) that served Scottish seafood Spanish style. Amongst the fine food we had, was a simple but very tasty dish called Tortilla aka Spanish Omelette. I was inspired to try to make Tortilla at home. I have to say I am pretty happy with my attempt.
Here is my recipe on Tortilla aka Spanish Omelette, with a little Asian twist, by including SPAM.
I have recently acquired a flip pan and it’s perfect for making tortilla. You can see a picture of the flip pan in my video below.
- 2 large potatoes (peeled & cut into large chunks)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 3-4 slices of SPAM (cut into small cubes) – or you could use ham or bacon
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 red pepper (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 zucchini (cut into small cubes)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water till soft.
2. In the meanwhile, fry the SPAM till crispy. Remove to a plate.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a heated pan. Add onions and fry till fragrant.
4. Add red pepper and zucchini and fry till they are cooked.
5. By now, the potatoes should be soft. Drain them and use a fork to mash the potatoes.
6. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the beaten eggs. Stir the eggs into the mash potatoes.
7. Add fried SPAM and vegetables to the mixture and stir well to mix.
8. Add lots of black pepper to the mixture.
9. Heat a pan and add 20 gm of butter. When the butter turns foamy, pour the egg mixture into the pan. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the top of the omelette.
10. Once cooked to a golden brown on one side, flip the omelette over to brown the other side.
11. Slide the omelette onto a plate and serve.
Note: In my video, I use a flip pan. If you don’t have one, just use the spatula to smooth the sides of the omelette to make a flat thick disc (see picture below of the tortilla from Escocesa).