I was visiting my son in London and managed to get some live crabs from London Chinatown. They were much much cheaper than those in Australia. I was really worried about having to kill the crab but my son was brave enough to give it a try. Having googled to find out how to kill a crab humanely, he managed to do it without too much difficulty and go on to cook us a delicious pasta with crab in a spicy tomato sauce. Here is his recipe.
- 1 crab (about 1 kg in weight) – chopped, ensure crab claws are smashed for easy access to the crab meat
- 1 fresh chilli (sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (smashed)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1 can of plum tomatoes (or 4-5 fresh tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A bunch of basil leaves (finely sliced)
- 200 gm cooked pasta
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add garlic & onion to fry till fragrant.
2. Add plum tomatoes and chillies and mix well. If the chillies are not hot enough, add some chilli oil.
3. Add the crab and stir to ensure it is fully coated with the sauce.
4. Simmer until the crab meat is cooked through.
5. Remove the crab to a plate.
6. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and stir well to combine.
7. Serve pasta with crab meat and add sliced basil leaves on top.