I thought it might be an idea to combine 2 very popular dishes (grilled chicken wings and satay) into one dish and name it roast chicken wings with satay flavour. The juiciness of the chicken wings and the aromatic delicious satay spice made this dish a success. It had all the tasty flavour of satay without making a mess with bamboo skewers and barbecue. However you will need to eat this with fingers to fully enjoy the flavour – finger licking good stuff! I will definitely make this again.
- 750 gm chicken wings (cut each wing into two, discard tips)
- 3/4 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 Tbsp lemon grass powder or 1/2 fresh lemon grass root (sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Tbsp fried onion
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (or tamarind juice)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp coconut milk (2 Tbsp for the marinade, leave 2 Tbsp for brushing the chicken whilst roasting).
1. Put all ingredients (except coconut milk) in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Marinade chicken for 15 mins.
2. Place marinaded chicken in a baking tray. Lightly brush 1 tablespoon of coconut milk over the chicken.
3. Roast in the oven at 200C for 20 mins.
4. Remove from oven and flip chicken over to the other side. Baste the chicken with the sauce and lightly brush another 1 tablespoon of coconut milk over the chicken.
5. Return the chicken to the oven and continue roasting at 200C for another 20 minutes till golden brown. Serve with steamed rice.