Fried rice is an easy dish to prepare. The basic ingredients are cooked rice and eggs and you can add any other ingredients you may have on hand. Goes particularly well with Chinese sausage, prawns and fish cake. The only seasoning you require is salt, light soya sauce and white pepper, other than garlic and fried onions. Makes a simple but tasty and satisfying meal.
I like to cook fried rice whenever I am lazy and can’t be bothered to think of a dish to cook for dinner. It’s easy to prepare as I always have all the ingredients in my fridge. Also whenever I have leftover steamed rice or I may cook a little more rice so that I can cook fried rice the following day.
Other than rice and eggs, all other ingredients can be substituted with whatever you may have in your fridge at the time; for example:
- Bacon or luncheon meat (our favourite is SPAM) can sub for Chinese sausage;
- Chicken can sub for prawn – add a little mined salt fish to enhance the flavour; and
- Fresh vegetables such as corn, carrot, capsicum and beans – chop them into small cubes.
- 2 cups of steamed rice (overnight preferred but you could use freshly cooked rice)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 6 prawns (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 Chinese sausage (sliced)
- 3 fish cakes (sliced)
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (peas, capsicum, corn mix)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- Dash of white pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of Canola oil and add garlic and fry till fragrant.
2. Add prawn, Chinese sausage and fish cake and fry till cooked. Remove to a dish.
3. Add another tablespoon of oil and add beaten egg. Scramble and add cooked rice. Stir fry for 5 mins.
4. Add 1/2 cup of water and continue frying. Add 1 cup of frozen vegetables and continue to stir fry.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of light soya sauce and continue to fry for another few minutes.
6. Add fried prawn, Chinese sausage and fish cake and mix well. Finally add a dash of white pepper before dishing up.