Banana bread is a cake-like bread that is made with mashed bananas that are over ripe. You could also add raisins, toasted walnuts or pecans for crunch and as a source of healthy fats and fibres. It is very easy to make. It is sweet and fragrant and less fattening than banana cake. I have reduced the sugar content further in this recipe. You can also replace butter with Canola oil or yogurt.
Banana bread tastes better the next day and I normally have it toasted and spread with a tiny bit of butter. Very satisfying.
- 2 eggs
- 30 gm sugar
- 50 gm butter (melted)
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 100 gm self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Beat egg and sugar together till light and fluffy.
3. Stir in melted butter and mashed banana.
4. Sift the flours and stir into the batter together with cinnamon. Stir to just combine.
5. Pour batter into baking tin. Tap the tin gently on bench top to settle the batter.
6. Bake for 50 mins at 180C. If the bread is browning too quickly, cover with foil for the last 10 minutes. Insert a skewer and if comes out clean, the bread is cooked.
7. Let the bread cool in the tin.