Want a tasty crunchy snack? Try fried wontons. The skin is super crunchy and the prawn is plump and juicy. Fried wontons taste great with sweet chilli sauce or on its own.
INGREDIENTS (makes 10 wantons)
- 10 fresh green large prawns (shelled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup of water
- 10 wonton skin (you can find this in the fridge section of any Asian grocery)
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Dash of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 egg
- 50 gm pork fat (boiled & cut into small cubes)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
1. Add baking soda to 1 cup of water in a mixing bowl. Soak prawns in the bowl for 5 minutes. Take the prawns out and rinse them. Pat dry for use. Baking soda will help make the prawns plump and bouncy.
2. Mince the prawns and marinade for 15 mins.
3. Place a prawn in the centre of the wonton skin and wrap it to make a wonton.
4. Deep fry the wontons over moderate heat, until golden brown.
5. Lift the wontons onto to kitchen paper to remove any excess oil. Serve with sweet chilli sauce.