As mangoes are in season, I decided to use my crumble recipe and make the filling with mangoes. Mango crumble turned out to be quite a treat although I must say I still prefer the apple and orange crumble version. Mango crumble goes well with salted caramel ice-cream.
- Mango Filling:
- 2 large mangoes (approximately 500 gm) – cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- Crumble Top:
- 50 gm butter (soften)
- 50 gm sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 75 gm flour
- 50 gm almond flakes (crush into small pieces)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C (fan-forced).
2. Put all filling ingredients into a small saucepan and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Leave mango in cubes. Leave to cool. Remove the cloves and discard.
3. Make the crumble top by rubbing the butter, sugar, lemon zest and flour gently until crumbly. Stir in almond flakes. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the mango mixture.
4. Bake at 180C (fan-forced) for about 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 160C and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes until the top is golden. Check after 30 minutes and cover with aluminium foil if the top is getting burned.
5. Dust with icing sugar to serve and serve with salted caramel ice cream.