Homemade Rice Noodles and Noodle Rolls (河粉,腸粉)
For those who do not have easy access to fresh rice noodles (aka hor fun), here’s a simple recipe to make your own rice noodles at home. It doesn’t take long and uses only 2 key ingredients, rice flour and tapioca flour. Add water and a bit of salt, steam and you have fresh rice noodles in a few minutes.
You could also simply sprinkle a few dried prawns and spring onions before steaming (to add flavour) and roll them up into noodle rolls.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 servings)
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Mix flour, salt and water in a mixing bowl.
2. Brush a bit of oil on the bottom of a pyrex dish. Pour 1/3 cup of flour mixture into the dish. My dish is 21 x 21 cm. Swirl around to ensure flour mixture is evenly spread to the edge of the dish. (If you want a thinner rice noodle, reduce the amount of flour mixture but make sure the flour mixture reaches the edge of the dish.)
3. Steam for 5-7 minutes. When cooled, brush a bit of oil on top of steamed rice noodle.
4. Use a plastic spatula to ease the noodle from the edges. Peel the rice noodle from the dish. Cut into 1/2 inch strips.
5. To make rolled noodles, sprinkle dried prawns and sliced spring onions on top before steaming. Use a spatula to help roll up the noodle and serve with a sauce (mix sesame oil, light and dark soya sauce in a bit of water).