Thought I should cook something healthy today, having indulged in rich food the past couple of weeks. What would be healthier than fresh herbs and vegetables, vermicelli and a bit of white meat? This time, I looked to Thai cuisine for some inspiration for a simple concoction.
- 300 gm chicken thigh meat (minced)
- 1 carrot (julienne)
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass (use the white part at the end of the stalk – thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves (1/2 cup chopped leaves, 1/2 cup whole leaves)
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves (1/2 cup chopped leaves, 1/2 cup whole leaves)
- 1 tablespoon fried onions
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanut (chopped)
- Slices of lemon to serve
1. Cut the iceberg lettuce into half and remove the core. Soak in cold water and the lettuce leaves will separate out into cups. Choose 8 lettuce cups. Keep the rest for other recipes.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan and add chicken mince. Stir chicken for 5 minutes until browned.
3. Add ginger, lemon grass to the chicken mince and fry until fragrant.
4. Add seasoning and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.
5. Add rice vermicelli and carrots and toss to combine ensuring it is heated through.
6. Lastly add the chopped mint and coriander leaves and fried onions. Stir to combine.
7. Scoop the chicken & vermicelli mix into the lettuce cups and garnish with fresh mint and coriander leaves and chopped roasted peanuts and a slice of lemon.