It’s down memory lane today. I still recall the old lady coming around with a big pot of vegetarian fried mixed noodles and a metal can containing that wonderful fried sweet dried bean curd strips. She ladled a whole heap of noodles onto a plate and threw just a few fried sweet dried bean curd strips on top. I loved that fried sweet dried bean curd strips and always had to ask for an extra portion – it was never enough.
To add a little “luxury” to the vegetarian fried noodles recipe, I added fried SPAM (luncheon meat) and fried omelette pieces. I can now have as many fried sweet dried bean curd strips as I want – yay!
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 100 gm fresh yellow noodles
- 100 gm rice noodles (soaked in water)
- 1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 slices SPAM or luncheon meat (cut into strips)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 pieces of sweet dried bean curd (see picture below) (cut into strips)
1. Add 1/2 tablespoon of dark soya sauce and 1/2 tablespoon of light soya sauce to the yellow noodles in a mixing bowl and stir to ensure even coating. Do the same with rice noodles.
2. Deep fry the sweet bean curd strips for a minute or 2, till golden brown. Set aside.
3. Fry SPAM strips till golden brown. Set aside.
4. Fry beaten egg and use frying slice to cut up into small pieces. Set aside.
5. Add 1/2 tablespoon Canola oil to the pan and fry 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic till fragrant. Add yellow noddles and stir fry for 3 minutes. Remove to a serving dish.
6. Add 1/2 tablespoon Canola oil to the pan and fry 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic till fragrant. Add rice noddles and fry for 3 minutes – do not stir too much or the rice noodles might break up. Remove to a serving dish.
7. To serve, place fried sweet bean strips, SPAM strips and egg pieces on top of the fried mixed noodles.