Fried Potato Patty (aka Begedil)
There is something mouth-watering about a fried potato patty just by looking at it. It might be the crispy exterior and then biting into the slightly spicy soft centre. One is never enough for me. I had to make some today after looking at a couple of the images.
I also chopped up some chicken meat and added them to a couple of plain fried potato patties to see what they taste like. I have to say both versions are scrumptious! Planning to try out other variations in the future – hot chorizo, fried bacon, dried prawns, spam!, minced beef, etc. Watch this space!
INGREDIENTS (makes 6)
- 250 gm potatoes (sliced)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of white pepper
- 25 gm fried onions
- 2 stalks coriander (chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Flour for coating
- Oil for deep-frying
1. Put sliced potatoes and a pinch of salt in a bowl and microwave for 8-10 minutes till soft.
2. Mash the potatoes using a fork. Add seasoning to potatoes and let it cool down.
4. Once cooled, add fried onions and chopped coriander. Mix well.
5. Scoop up a heaped tablespoon of potato mixture and shape into a ball. Flatten it to make a patty.
6. Heat oil in a pan. Dip patty in beaten egg, flour and then egg again. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown. Enjoy the fried potato patty as a snack or as part of a Nasi Pandang meal.