Ipoh rice noodle is reputed for its smooth and slippery texture. I have never had rice noodles made in Ipoh. But in Singapore there is a popular restaurant (Lee Tong Kee in Tanjong Pagar) that in my opinion sells the most delicious Ipoh rice noodles. I was told they are the earliest pioneer of Ipoh rice noodles in Singapore starting their shop in 1969. Their silky smooth rice noodles smothered in a tasty sauce is most delicious. Apparently the recipe of their sauce is a closely guarded secret.
Being so far away from Singapore, I decided to attempt to make my own Ipoh Rice Noodles dish. I have yet to learn how to make rice noodles so I have to resort to store-bought rice noodles in this recipe. However, I have experimented with making the gravy and am pretty happy with the result. My next project will be to make my own rice noodles. Watch this space.
INGREDIENTS (2 serves)
- 200 gm fresh rice noodle (choose those that are super thin)
- 1 cup poached chicken (reserve poaching liquid; shred chicken meat)
- 2 stalks green leafy vegetables e.g. choy sum (cut into 2 inch lengths and blanched)
- 1 teaspoon fried onions for garnish
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 clove garlic (sliced)
- 2 large dried mushrooms (soak, drain and reserve liquid; slice the mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 2 tablespoon dried prawns (soak, drain and reserve liquid; mince the prawns)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour mixed in 1/2 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Blanch the fresh rice noodles in boiling water and drain. Remove to a serving dish.
2. Place shredded chicken, blanched vegetables and fried onions on top of the rice noodles.
3. To make the gravy, put some oil in a pan and fry the garlic slices till fragrant.
4. Add mushroom slices and fry for a couple of minutes. Add sesame oil, oyster sauce, dark soya sauce, minced dried prawns and 2 cups of water from the poaching and soaking liquids.
5. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir the cornflour mixture into the gravy to thicken it.
7. Pour gravy over the rice noodles and serve.