Salmon is my favourite fish. It is considered healthy due to the fish’s high protein, high omega-3 fatty acids and high vitamin D content. I love the colour and taste of salmon. It requires just salt and pepper for seasoning; is quick to cook and getting the skin crispy is really easy. Add some sambal chilli and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice and yum! you have a most divine delicious fish dish that is worth cooking every week.
Buy salmon which is already scaled but if it is not, scaling the skin is quite easy if you have the right implement. I use a gadget bought from the discount Japanese shop (Daiso). It looks like this.
- 2 fresh Salmon fillets (with skin on)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sambal chilli
- 2 lemon slices or 1 lime (halved)
1. Clean the fish fillets gently and pat dry.
2. Season the fish fillets with salt and ground pepper (black and Sichuan pepper).
3. Coat the fish fillets with a thin layer of cornflour.
4. Heat oil in pan and when the oil is smoking, add the fish fillets, skin side down. Let it fry for 3 mins. Check that the skin is golden brown before flipping the fish over and fry the other side for another 3 mins. Use a spatula to check if the fish is cooked – it is cooked when it is slightly firm to touch. Do not overcook the fish.
5. Remove to a dish and serve with sambal chilli and lemon slices or lime.