There is something heart warming about the golden brown topping of a pasta bake. Add salmon and some chilli spice and it makes that pasta bake an even more hearty meal. I made this recently and am very satisfied with the end result. You should try it too – it’s easy to make.
INGREDIENTS (2 serves)
- 160 gm Spaghetti (break into short pieces) or any pasta tubes or shapes
- 2 small cans chilli salmon (drained)
- 4 fresh mushrooms (sliced) – fry with:
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Creamy sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoon flour
- ½ can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs + 1 tablespoon melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced).
2. Boil some water in a pot and add salt. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
3. Fry the mushroom. Put some minced garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter and fry till fragrant. Add mushrooms, salt & pepper and fry mushroom till tender.
4. To make the creamy sauce, add a knob of butter in a small saucepan and when butter is sizzling, add flour to combine ensuring the flour is cooked. Add evaporated milk (a couple of tablespoons at a time), stirring constantly, to a smooth (fairly liquid) paste. Add the rest of the evaporated milk and stir to achieve a creamy sauce.
5. Add cooked mushroom, pasta, parsley, basil to the sauce and stir to combine. Add salmon and stir carefully through. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Pour into a casserole dish.
6. In a separate mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs with melted butter.
7. Sprinkle over the top of the mixture.
8. Bake uncovered in the oven for 25 mins or until bubbling and golden brown.